Each well in the microplate has a raised rim designed to reduce cross contamination and to provide a better fit to the corresponding raised ring in the lid. Lid use reduces excessive evaporative fluid loss. Bottom formats available include:
- Flat (F) bottom – most commonly used
- Conical (V) bottom – for microtiter use
- Round (U) bottom – for good mixing
- Chamfered (C) bottom – flat center with rounded corners to improve fluid recovery
- Open (O) bottom - for membrane attachment
Sterile and treated 96-well plates are gamma irradiated and available in individual packaging.